Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MIDNIGHT MADNESS

So, last night was my first midnight movie showing. I was a little skeptical when my friend Meghan suggested we do this. ESPECIALLY being a twilight movie. Don't get me wrong... I love Twilight. I read the books even before there were movies. But some of the twilight fans... well... they are crazy. Last year when I went opening night at 1030 thinking it wouldn't be very crowded so late... (espesh when it had been showing since midnight the night before) well... let's just say I found out I was very wrong about that. We got there an hour early and the line was all the way through the movie theater. We ended up sitting in the second row... and I don't care HOW hot Jacob is... he wasn't meant to be seen that up close. Not unless it's on my bedroom that is.

So, yes, back to last night. There were four of us going. Myself, Melissa, Meghan, and Meghan's sister Katie. We decided to meet at the theater at 8 hoping that four hours before the show will be enough to ensure we aren't TOO close to the front.

Melissa and I get a bit of a late start so when Meghan calls at 8 and tells us she's there we tell her we are about fifteen minutes away. She then tells me that they are second in line so we can go ahead and go eat if we want. Wow! Second in line. That sounds amazing. Sure, we'll go grab some taco bell and drinks and take it to the theater and eat in line. Meghan also tells me that they are having to sit outside until 1115 before they will let them in... and as it turns out. It's raining. We ALSO decided to run into Academy and buy some rain jackets. Meghan and Katie who are already sitting out in the rain have come prepared and are in ponchos. As seen here....
So, Melissa and I take our time. We go to Academy. Look around. Buy a rain jacket. Go to Taco Bell. Order some food. Then Meghan text me and tells me more people are starting to show up. So we decide it's time to head that way. So we get there... gather up all of the food and walk up to the theater.

Melissa "So, they must have let everyone in. No one is outside."

Me "Oh, well I bet they won't let us take this food in. Crap! Let me call Meghan and see what's going on."

Ring Ring

Meghan "Hey, you here?"

Me "Yeah, did they let ya'll in cause we can't bring this food in there."

Meghan "No, we are still outside. They won't let us in."

Me "Meghan, I can't see you. There's no one outside. Everyone is INSIDE."

Meghan "You ARE at the Vestavia Rave, right?"

Me ....pause... "I'm at the Patton Rave."

Meghan "Stephanie Gentry you are joking me right now."

Me "Meghan, I'm at the Patton Rave. I SWEAR I told you Patton."

Meghan "You are SO joking right now!"

Me "I wish I was."

Meghan (rather exasperated) "We're leaving now." CLICK

Holy crap. They have sat out in the rain all of this time... SECOND in line... at the wrong theater. OMG. So we go inside... and ARE NOT second in line... we are like 92nd....

Phone rings again. "Stephanie Gentry this is Meghan's sister. You are in SOOO MUCH TROUBLE! We were second in line!"

"I swear I told her Patton!"

So we sit in line watching more and more people come in behind us. We had to throw the cokes we bought away.... such a waste... but we sneak eat the burritos. And I kid you not... ten minutes later I get a text that says "here". Meghan has flown Millenium Falcon speeds and made it from Vestavia to Patton in ten minutes.

Luckily they are able to sneak in line with us and not have to get in the back. So we sit there... in a crowd... on the floor... for like an hour. I am starting to realize that I am getting WAY too old for the things I love. I love things that my body is too old to enjoy! Sitting on the floor hurts! I swear I used to sit outside of Hanson venues ALL DAY and feel like I could run a marathon afterwards but now after an hour on the floor i need a crane to get me up!

Luckily at 10 they let us into the actual theater for the remaining two hours. We actually get really good seats. And now we have two hours to sit in the theater.... I read the book I brought... Melissa took a nap... Katie went back and fourth to the concession stand. (plus she had brought poptarts in her bag with her. And we had some of the taco bell still hidden in the purses, but it just isn't a movie without eating food that must contain actual bits of gold. or diamonds. or something else very rare and extravagant because good god they sure are proud of it and therefore charge out the wazoo)

But eventually the movie started. AND we got the new Harry Potter trailer!!! It looks amazing!!!! I cannot WAIT for that movie.

Eclipse was very good. The best of the three by a mile. It was so much fun to watch it with a big crowd of people who OBVIOUSLY love the movie or they wouldn't be there at midnight. It was sooo fun to hear the reactions.

I do have to say this though, how can ANYONE be team Edward? Are you joking? Have you SEEN Jacob? I loved him from when I read the book WAY before I ever saw Taylor Lautner without a shirt. But even if SOMEHOW from reading the books you WEREN'T in love with Jacob the first time he ran up wearing only cut offs and tennis shoes that should have been it. No questions asked.

All in all the midnight showing experience was a good one. MOSTLY everything went off without a hitch. I'm TOTALLY game to do it again in December for Breaking Dawn! Jacob here we come!

4 comments:

Ann said...

See! You have things to blog about! Even though I think you are crazy for camping out at a movie theater in order to see a midnight showing of some crazy movie... :)

Steph said...

I guess it's easy to blog when you are constantly doing idiotic things!

Ann said...

Ha! Good point!!!

soterric said...

Sounds like you had a blast! Life's short, you gotta squeeze every moment of insane fun out of you can!